BuddyWalk

We would like to invite you to participate in the 2019 Down Syndrome Awareness Walk sponsored by the Ups of Downs Family Support Group!

Saturday, October 5th

Rushmore Mall

Registration from 9:00AM – 10:00AM

Walk begins at 10:30AM

2019 Down Syndrome Awareness Walk Registration Form

With your support this year, you will help us provide educational workshops, social events, and awareness opportunities that will promote awareness, acceptance, and inclusion for individuals with Down syndrome.

If you are interested in joining us this year by becoming a sponsor, please contact us.

We would like to invite you to participate in the 2019 Down Syndrome Awareness Walk sponsored by the Ups of Downs Family Support Group on Saturday, October 5th at the Rushmore Mall. We are asking for your sponsorship this year so that we can continue promoting the awareness, acceptance, and inclusion for individuals with Down syndrome in our community.

We have made some exciting changes to the walk in order to focus on the awareness of individuals with Down syndrome. It does not matter if you know someone, live with someone, or assist someone with Down syndrome – you want to be part of this!

With your support this year, you will be recognized as a sponsor of the 2019 Down Syndrome Awareness Walk and will help us provide educational workshops, social events, and awareness opportunities that will promote awareness, acceptance, and inclusion for individuals with Down syndrome. We are hoping that you will consider being part of this great event and help us make it successful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, otherwise; we will be in touch with you to discuss your level of sponsorship as we have various levels of sponsorship available.

Ups of Downs Family Support Group

The Ups of Downs Family Support Group was formed in Rapid City in 2000 and became a 501c(3) nonprofit organization in 2003(EIN #20-0128360). Our organization is dedicated to providing education, information, awareness events, social opportunities, and emotional support to families of infants, children, and adults with Down syndrome. We have families from all across Rapid City, the Black Hills, and western South Dakota; and in the past 10 years we’ve welcomed over 15 new families with a child with Down syndrome to our group, as well as being introduced to many adults with Down syndrome living in our community.

Down Syndrome

Down syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality (an extra 21st chromosome) that occurs in one of every 730 live births and affects more than 400,000 people in the United States. One of the most frequently occurring chromosomal abnormalities, Down syndrome affects people of all ages, races, and economic levels. Over 80% of children born with Down syndrome are born to mothers under the age of 35. Today, individuals with Down syndrome are active participants in the educational, vocational, social, and recreational aspects of our communities. In fact, there are more opportunities than ever before for individuals with Down syndrome to develop their abilities, discover their talents, and realize their dreams. For example, more teens and adults with Down syndrome each year are graduating from high school, going to college, finding employment, and living independently. The opportunities currently available to individuals with Down syndrome have never been greater! It is through the collective efforts of parents, professionals, elected officials, and committed individuals like yourself that allows continued awareness, acceptance, and inclusion of individuals with Down syndrome.

The Buddy Walk®

The Buddy Walk® was developed by the National Down syndrome Society (NDSS) in 1995 and over the past twenty years, the Buddy Walk® program has grown from 17 walks to more than 300 walks in 2018 across the country and around the world. Last year alone over 300,000 people participated in a Buddy Walk® raising over $12 million to benefit national education, research, and advocacy initiatives, as well as local programs. These funds enable NDSS and local groups to offer services that support and enhance the quality of life for individuals with Down syndrome as well as their families. Our group keeps 93% of the money raised while the other 7% goes to the NDSS. It is the mission of the NDSS to ensure that all individuals with Down syndrome are provided the opportunity to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives.

In closing, your sponsorship shows public affirmation of your support for the inclusion, awareness, and acceptance of the abilities and contributions of individuals with Down syndrome. We look forward to working with you in order to make the 2019 Down Syndrome Awareness Walk a grand event! We have included the different Sponsor Levels and Agreement for your review.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and support!